Wednesday 3 June 2015

Thinking About Next Year...

I know you're all thinking I'm nuts, but hear me out.

Teachers have the great skill of planning ahead and being prepared, and even though the idea of thinking about next year before this year is over seems like cruel and unusual punishment, the reality is you probably have already been thinking about what you're going to do differently next year either in planning, or assessment, or management.

I've embarked on a major change this year by committing to reorganizing my classroom so that it's a better student-centered space.  But there is so much more that I need to do!

One of the big changes I plan on making for next year is making sure that I never have to use those ghastly fluorescent lights AT ALL!  (Well, not "at all"-they are useful when I need to energize my students with a body break, but that's the only time when I have them all on at one time anymore.)  I can promise that I don't have an unwarranted dislike for them.
 
In the first half of the year, we used all of the fluorescent lights all of the time.  I noticed that I was suffering from migraines, and after eliminating various possible triggers, I realized that it could very possibly be the lights that were causing me pain.  When I started to think about it more, I noticed I had the worst migraines after long weekends or holidays (situations when I came back to school after longer periods of time) and that many of my students were complaining of headaches too.  So we made a light switch (pun intended) for the better.  

There are 3 switches that control 3 separate banks of lights in our room.  Today, I would say that 90% of the time, we use light from the middle bank only, and keep the curtains to the window open.  Not only have headache complaints dwindled down to a minimum (including my own), I have noticed many positive changes in behavior as well.  Now I only turn on all the lights in order to re-energize the students.

Spring and summer clearly offer more natural light opportunities, but what about long, dark, dreary winter?  I have decided to incorporate lamps into my class for next year.  I'm thinking that I would like at least 10 for my new class next year.  But this is a significant financial commitment!  10 lamps at $10 or more per lamp?!?!  Seriously?  I can think of many more items to get for my class for $100 or more!  Fear not!!  I have a strategy!

Garage sales.

Seriously.  I picked up 4 lamps this past weekend for $20.  I also have a lamp at home that's been sitting in storage that will make a perfect addition to my class as well.  5 lamps for $20?  Ok!
I have to say I'm lucky to live in a community that love-Love-LOVES having garage sales, and I love shopping at them.

I would suggest beginning by making a list of all the great things you want to add to your classroom environment and keep that list on you at all times.  Put it in your purse, wallet, car, or in the back of your phone case (cause I know I can't leave home without that!).  Make sure you have $40 on you in cash for the weekends when the Garage Sale Extravaganzas begin and keep your eyes open!

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment