Tuesday 1 September 2015

Transitioning and Getting Student's Attention.

When I think of strategies meant to get student's attention, I think back to my first year of teaching and remember how I didn't have any. 
...

Well, none that were very effective. I look back and give myself a slap on the forehead when I think about it now. I tried the "Pause and Wait", I tried the "Give Me Five", I tried the "Ignore and Keep Teaching" (FYI-don't try that one).  Oy-What was I thinking!  
Thankfully, I now have some strategies that I'm proud to say have worked successfully!  (Applause is appreciated.) One of the favorites for my students last year was "Copy Cat". When I needed to give further instruction, or have students transition, I clapped a rhythm that they were required to copy in unison.
When teaching this strategy, I gave students ample opportunities to practice. First, I explained the procedure, showed how it worked, then we practiced. It was explained to me by a mentor that, no matter what strategy I used, it was necessary to explain to students that they were responsible for finding me wherever I was in the class and keeping their eyes on me for instruction. That was so important, and was one of the best pieces of advice. This strategy quickly became our "go to". We even used it for body breaks. During this time, students volunteered to lead the group in a Copy Cat Body Break. 
I also used a count down strategy. I would say, "Ok class I need your attention in 3-2-1."  This one also worked extremely well. Again, eye contact was expected and hands off whatever they were doing at the time was expected. 
I make sure I have two or three good strategies to use because even with these, students get bored. I mix them up, use one for several days, then a different one. But the constant is that students must follow the expectations that follow: eye contact, and hands off. 
I am particularly excited to use a sound strategy this year with the help of a device called The No Yell Bell. 

It has volume control, and seven settings for different sounds including an alarm and applause-which could be really fun during a Q & A session, or class game. 


It's so simple, even I could use it!  I plan on using this for transitions between tasks as well. There is a chimes setting on it as well which will be the perfect sound to ease students out of any activity they are doing as they practice strategies for learning. 
If you would like to hear the No Yell Bell, chimes in action you can find me on Twitter @iteachandlearn2. 
Please let me know your go-to attention grabbers by commenting or tweeting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment