Monday 7 September 2015

A Book A Day

This year I have committed to reading at least one full picture book to my grade 3 class a day. I have made a board for our classroom dedicated specifically to this idea, which we already lovingly refer to as our book-a-day-board.  On it, I post a 4x6 print out of the cover of the book we read together.  By the end of the year, we will have close to 200 book covers represented on the wall!
Although I want to help students cultivate a love for reading, we aren't simply reading these books just for fun. This is also a way for me to teach content, and model using strategies. 
I want to place reading at the forefront of our day as a way to underscore its importance. I usually begin by reinforcing the idea that reading everyday is important, and when we choose good fit books (re: The Daily 5), reading is so fun!
I also want to build a sense of community within our classroom.  Reading our book-a-day book happens in the whole group space in our classroom (I eagerly await the giant rug that's in order!). 

In this space, students are asked to sit closely together as they listen.  Then, when the book is finished, they have to discuss it in one way or another. So far students have practiced a turn and talk (students stay seated), and stand and talk (students can move around this way). 
Because it is so early in the year, we've been focusing on basic strategies for reading.  Using picture books, I have been able to model how I expect students to use these reading strategies daily.  There is already a class favorite on our board.  Toads on Toast by Linda Bailey is a book I used to model a comprehension strategy (Check for Understanding).
I recently read a great blog post by a middle school teacher who uses picture books in her classes to teach all kinds of concepts. I highly recommend checking it out. And don't forget to peruse through the links. She also offers up lists of book suggestions. 
A link to the blog post can be found below. 
Happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment